Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Good Serious Testosterone Movies


We don't need mindless robot vs. man movies, Mel Gibson playing a crazy cop or Bruce Willis's brave speeches about the end of the world. A new age of good serious testosterone movies is upon us. Michael Mann's movie version of Miami Vice came out to decent reviews. How could you miss Colin Farrell's ponytail or another brilliant performance by Jamie Foxx? I would go see it except I'm still traumatized by Colin Farrell's sex video. The only lesson I learned was that celebrity sex is nothing special and once I'm done with my therapy, I'll go check out Miami Vice. Celebrity scandal has forced me to destroy much of my action movie collection--Lethal Weapons, most of Steven Seagal flicks (kept Fire Down Below, as it is too funny), Russell Crowe post-telephone throwing incident.

Previews for The Departed, out October 6th look exciting. The Daily Damon, no doubt, will provide more information, but I haven't been this excited about a testosterone movie since Heat. The Departed seems serious, where cool actors yell intelligent things at each other, guns go off, haunting music swells, the makers aren't pushing a right-wing political agenda and, most important, there has to be some homoerotic sparring between Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio. Add Jack Nicholson, who will most likely play the role of mentor and/or greasy thief, and I'm ready to pay the outrageous price of a movie ticket. And then, I'll go see Hillary Duff's new movie.

2 comments:

CHIC-HANDSOME said...

just a good life

Sam said...

I'm sorry to say it seems there'll be no homoerotic sparring between Matt and Leo at all, since they're barely in the film together until the last reel. It's reminiscent of Al Pacino and Robert De Niro in Heat. And you know who generates a lot of heat? Matt Damon. Mmmm, yummy and hot.