Monday, October 02, 2006

The Death of Saturday Night Live?


Cancellation hasn't happened yet, even with those seriously un-funny years in the early 1990s. Somehow, SNL weathers moments of really bad writing and awkward performances. This season's Tina Fey-less opener, with Dane Cook as the host (who he?), was lukewarm with no real gut-busting antics. Most the of the jokes lingered like a cat fart, including the news report. I wanted to love the premiere and find the "SNL isn't good anymore..." cliche inexcusable (mostly said by those who haven't watched it in twenty years). I've watched SNL since the beginning and I'll admit to preferring some seasons to the ones with the first cast. Of course, Gilda Radner, Bill Murray and Jane Curtin should be cannonized. But I also like Will Ferrell, Chris Farley, Cheri Oteri, Mike Meyers, Molly Shannon and Ana Gasteyer. John Belushi never made me laugh.

My sadness comes from the fact that I fell asleep during the Killers first song (also zzzzzzzzz). I didn't know who Dane Cook was -- though I vaguely remember his hosting last year -- aside from his being the hilarious and misunderstood hero of Jessica Simpson's new movie Employee of the Year (Office Space with boobs?). Cook is handsome-ish and talkative, like the loquacious entertaining guy who holds court and finally notices you at last call. This lack of Cook awareness is my own defect, though I couldn't help but feel a tabloidesque appearance by Simpson would have helped. Or maybe she did show up between the first and second Killers song (which is when I woke up).

I believe in SNL's staying power but if things don't improve, I might have to switch to Will & Grace for the guzillionth rerun at 11:30.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

^nail on the head.