Sunday, October 01, 2006

Party Breakfast

I respect that Macauley Culkin did a "gay" movie before Brokeback Mountain--and one can already see the copycats on the horizon--but my Excellent Gay Character award goes to Cillian Murphy whose "Kitten" in Breakfast on Pluto is dreamy, literate and lacking in "you go girlfriend" predictability. I saw both within twenty-four hours. Okay, so I only saw five minutes of Party Monster before I got the feeling McC and Seth Green (both of whom I like) had been practicing their "gay" for weeks from watching Rupert Everett in My Best Friend's Wedding and Will & Grace--not that there's anything wrong with that. Kitten wasn't so acty or gay-next-door. Yes, he wore lipstick and took an early shine to minidresses, but his character was unlike any I'd seen before. Plus, he was gorgeous as a woman and so vulnerable--very pre-collagen Emanuelle Beart from Manon des Sources.











Cillian's effortless seduction of Gavin Friday and Stephen Rea is a mystery. Bottom line, I kind of wanted Cillian Murphy to *be* a woman, like that one time Hal Sparks appeared in drag in Queer As Folk. Enough to give a girl a little girl crush.

2 comments:

Sam said...

While it's true that both Mac and Seth were waaaaay over the top in Party Monster, I believed that was due to the characters they created and not some misguided understanding of gay people.

I've been gay for a really long time and I've known a whole bunch of people like the characters they played. I even dated a few of them. They may be stereotypes, but stereotypes come from truth, ya know?

I found Party Monster totally difficult to watch 'cause I greatly dislike the type of people it portrays (disaffected dance club denizens). But I found it successful, because I think it told its story in a credible manner within the (highly fantasized) world of its characters.

I haven't seen Breakfast on Pluto yet, but I certainly will take your advice and give it a try.

Dish said...

Fair enough. And truth is, I could only watch five minutes so my opinion is based on little. I just thought they were do stereotypes of stereotypes but I applaud their doing the roles.