Sunday, March 23, 2008

Why Are All the Stores Closed?

You'd think it was a holiday. And if so, why are stores closed for this holiday? I guess it does give one hope that after death, one can return. That would justify all the zombie movies out there. If Jesus hadn't risen, I might not enjoy decapitating chocolate bunnies or the sight of Peeps on Duane Reade shelves. The actual Peeps themselves are disgusting but visually stunning.

Speaking of stunning, Dianne Wiest rocked my afternoon in Hannah and Her Sisters, perhaps Woody's most uplifting movie. This flick came out when I graduated from high school and I wondered then, who is this fluttery-voiced chick with the perpetual squint? She's amazing! Her character is sort of what I might have turned into, except that I've have been in only two professions--if you don't count the dry cleaning stint. She can't sing, can't act, has some talents and bad habits, along with a string of disappointments, but a nice spirit, which I hope New York bitterness hasn't killed in me. Please, though, I hope very much that I don't end up with the Woody Allen type.

No comments: