Sunday, January 07, 2007

This Grand Canyon Between Us


Very Nice Person and I are on Date #7, when the other shoe drops. We're looking at my DVD collection--a must for any couple getting to know each other. He doesn't scoff at every episode of Will & Grace, Steven Seagal's Above the Law or the secret copy of Maid in Manhattan ("bought for my mother") stashed in the back of the shelf. I ask him if he likes Grand Canyon, pointing to my copy.

"I hated it." He shakes his head. "I thought it was awful."

"But it's the original Crash, only funner," I argue. "And it has a great soundtrack."

It's our first big disagreement and I'm not prepared. Grand Canyon may be a little me-me-me, but the pacing and thoughtfulness touch me. Plus, it's one of the few times when Mary-Louise Parker doesn't whine her lines, sort of. "Well, it was nice while it lasted," I say, turning away as a lone tear falls down my cheek.

But then he admits to owning The Princess Bride--which I have avoided out of principle alone--and he likes John Cusack (every hetero-boy does), so I guess some divergence in movie taste is allowed.

No comments: