Sunday, September 09, 2007

Yuma::Uma as Art::Cart

After The Insider, Dish went through a major Russell Crowe phase until an ex said he looked like my brother. There were reports of Russell's drunken brawls and excessive behavior. Following these discoveries, his award speeches became a little too self-righteous and sulky. In A Beautiful Mind, his performance seemed like that of every crazy person (and his being on screen with The Jennifer Connelly was far too much beauty for me). Soon after this, he threw a phone at someone. I acknowledge attempts to soften his public personality, like doing A Good Year, which was ninety minutes I'll never get back.

Despite all this drama, Dish will admit here, after many years of Russell Resentment, He Kicked Ass in 3:10 to Yuma. We are back on the Russell Bandwagon.

In this flick, he shoots people and draws pretty pictures. With one long green-eyed stare, he lures a mysterious barmaid into his bed. Somehow, he makes Christian Bale hideous when they are in the same shot (pun intended). And Russell is the only man I've ever seen who can wear turquoise successfully. This film is a must-see for lovers of action movies, Russell, Christian Bale, Westerns, and those skeptical that an Aussie and Welshman (or is it Scot) can aw-shucks their way through the 1860s American West. They do it all!



Speaking of doing it all, Roger Federer won the US Open. The match was so tense, I had to flip over to Along Came Polly (and caught the scene where Phillip Seymour Hoffmann gives his brilliant speech at the end), which I'm convinced helped Federer win. And to end my weekend, I'll attempt to watch the MTV Awards, though I have the feeling it's going to be a festival of stupid people.

No comments: