Monday, August 06, 2007

The Police Are Arresting at Giant Stadium

While I usually thought of The Police as the band whose videos appeared on MTV when Duran Duran's should have been playing, their concert sent a charge through my nostalgic heart yesterday at Giants Stadium. Suddenly, I was their biggest fan and had been all along.

At fourteen, I despised how Sting hogged the screen and my friend Diane never stopped talking about his hotness. He was like totally in a G-string in Dune and such an awesome actteeerrrr. And when The Police drifted apart, I was anti-Sting (I called him Stink). Not to mention, he's responsible for Madonna's faux British accent since he and his wife (who was excellent on that episode of "Friends") introduced her to Guy Ritchie. This means, Sting is responsible for the movie Swept Away, that suckfest remake starring Madge.

When The Police announced their tour earlier this year, I was ready to go, supporting the band and not the lead singer. I now admit he's an amazing performer. I may even buy his lute album. The most fun was watching BF nod along and sing with the music. In fact, the whole audience nodded along. This wasn't a dance-friendly concert, like say with other 80s bands, but by no means less joyous. They did the classic songs without pirouettes across the stage. They just played and sang, distracting the audience with some graphics and flashing lights. BF is contemplating getting his hair cut like Sting's. Something to look forward to. Once again, Sting may be responsible for a disaster (though BF goes to the barber once a month).

Oh, and The Police had two opening bands (prolonging the agony for die-hard fans--Sting probably needed those two hours to partake in tantric mash), one of which was Fiction Plane, fronted by his son. Can you imagine being Sting's son? He may be a good father, but I'm glad I'm a productive underachiever so that my children don't need to be traumatized by my brilliance. And I'll be cheaper to care for when I'm old. Then again, Sting has six children (helping along overpopulation, like Steven Seagal) and a castle, so he'll be fine. I won't be worried for him.

In any case, so The Police were hot and I just spent five dollars downloading their songs--the most I've spent aside from the fortune for concert tickets. Well worth the dough.


No comments: