Friday, April 11, 2008

Margot Made JJL Sh*t at the Wedding

Does a great movie have to contain likeable characters? If not, you could watch Margot at the Wedding. It's deep, full of torment, hard core acting, flawed characters, somber lighting, victims, abusers, teenagers. By the end, not only did I hate everyone in the movie, but I wanted to crawl into a prescription bottle. When Jennifer Jason Leigh pooped her skirt, I shouted, "Oh come on!" I dunno. It was Stinky McStinkerson so I replaced an image from the movie with my cat, who is also stinky. I applaud filmmakers trying to do intelligent work, though.

To offset this disappointment, I will plunge into the cheesiest, inanest, predictablest, but good-lookingest movie possible: The Holiday where homebody Kate Winslet exchanges houses with career-diva Cameron Diaz (future naked pillow fight?) to get over their toxic mens. Cupid's Arrow hits hard when faintingly gorgeous Jude Law shows up for a bang-fest with Cameron and Jack Black charms Kate with his sensitivity and fatness rather than his hotness. Happy ending? I dare say, oui. I'm ovulating already.

No comments: