Friday, December 19, 2008

Hiding the Bah Humbug

I'm not sure about this season's entertainment selections. Already saw The Spirit, which was fun. Might go see Valkyrie to laugh my fanny off at Tom's intensity/the eyepatch/the swelling music. That said, I don't think eyepatches are funny (just funny on Tom!) and losing an eye is serious business. On with rant: The Tale of Despereaux smells like Ratatouille, The Yes Man kinda like Liar Liar thougn Jim Carrey contortions make me pee a little. Seven Pounds is another Will Smith Oscar vehicle (more swelling music). I'm not curious about The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (assinine alliteration) because I already saw the aging backwards conundrum on Mork & Mindy thirty years ago. I'm sure the flick will win the Oscar for Best Makeup (prosthetics always win) and if we go by Oscar trends, pretty wins, so Brad could take Best Actor as his seventh child. While I want to see Revolution Road, it's such a downer and another Oscar vehicle for Leo and Kate. I already see suburban marital discord between beautiful people on Mad Men.

Give me fun holiday entertainment without a gimmick or desperate attempt to seize an award. Something that is most likely a big pile of crap but wants to uplift a gloomy recession-suffering audience. Give me the new Emma Thompson/Dustin Hoffmann romantical-potentially-sucktastic Last Chance Harvey (Dishmama and Dishstepfather, WE'RE GOING!). Plus, Dish loves geezer sex--in sweet romantic comedies only! Bonus points for not putting Emma in a ditch to make Dustin look taller, except in the movie poster.

Update: Screw Last Chance Harvey, Dish is picking Marley and Me!

No comments: