Tuesday, December 16, 2008

When Superman Met Frank Miller...

Star Sightings on 12/15/08, 6:30 pm, Tribeca Grand: Dan Lauria, "Winnie" from The Wonder Years, and Frank Miller, along with his beautiful girlfriend Kimberly, assistant Mark and others involved with The Spirit. Picture it: Dish screaming directions at Superman upon reaching the Tribeca Grand. I see Him: the tall stooped behatted artist clad in black, puffing away on a butt. Mid-sentence, I hang up on Superman and run up to hug Frank Miller. That happens often. I forget everything when in the presence of greatness. Superman finally finds me and is pleasantly surprised to meet FM. We go into the event and gorge on hors d'oeuvres, sizing up outfits and snacks. Superman accosts the cater-waiters instead of waiting for them. He grabs two boxes of popcorn, a Snickers, and a Twix. We're both on diets. For starters, my starstruckedness is such that I spill my entire drink on Superman's crotch as the movie begins. I apologize for this and for hanging up on him. I warn him it might happen again and he's all-accepting. For Miller and Eisner fans, The Spirit is wildly fun with many luscious moments. Less violence than Sin City, no less fabulous cast, more comedy. Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlet Johannssen steal the show. I'm curious to see what mainstream viewers think. The world definitely needs a hero--I'd take Gabriel Macht any day!

No comments: