Friday, June 13, 2008

I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD! I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY!

Calm down already, Daniel Day. I get you're intense, a bad father and shameless opportunist. After your shrieking in The Crucible, I avoided you. But then your fierce handling of knives peaked my interest in Gangs of New York. Kinda disappointed by the movie in the way that a few Scorcese movies leave me saying WTFwasthat? Now that I'm watching There Will Be Blood, I've got you nailed.

And yet, I still love your devotion to highly literate scripts--albeit interminable--and crazy fashion. Damn you, with your piercing eyes, huge honker, and sexy ear-loops. You've never sold out (Last of the Mohicans was a hair commercial, but I get why you did it). Not to mention, you gave a nice Oscar speech about Heath Ledger. I could feel your pain. The most important reason why I'll support you is that my mother once saw you dining with Isabel Adjani in Paris. Mom's eyes still glaze over when she talks about it (you were wearing a purple shirt). I mention your name and she blushes. The woman doesn't get swoony over stars--just you and Colin Firth. That's enough for me. But beware, I'm onto you.

3 comments:

J.J. said...

DDL is the best, OVER-ACTOR in the biz!! I can't take it!! His award winning makes me understand how much the public likes cartoons. I hear he slated to start shooting "Nine", Replacing Javier Bardem ( The Greatest Living Actor ) in the film version of my favorite Broadway Musical. Can he sing??? Can he play a 39 year old, unbelievably sexy, womanizing, Italian film director without coming across like Bugs Bunny??
I'm afraid...... very afraid!!

Dish said...

HAHAHAA!! And didja notice, his voice in Gangs of New York is the SAME as in There Will Be Blood? If I get enough phlegm, I think I can do it.

Sam said...

Ah, jj, if you love Nine, you must be a person of taste! I wondered, when poor Javier dropped out of the film (citing post-awards-season exhaustion), why they didn't just seek out Antonio Banderas, who had played Guido with such ferocity in the revival.

Can DDL sing? Indeed, that is the question. "To be or not to be" has nothing on a question such as this one! And, can he leave his previous, um, indulgencies out of this film? Imagine, if you will - "This is the Grand Canal where I abandoned my boy!" Or maybe "I remember St. Sebastien with a memory most unkind/I can hear the bells I heard when I went there/You stay alive, no matter what occurs!"

I'm shaking in my boots already!