Saturday, November 29, 2008

Love in the Time of Ego Waffles

Dish is so proud to have spent yesterday watching literary movies. The message of Elizabeth: The Golden Age: being a virgin queen sucks so bad they had to make two movies about her. You can survive spinstertown if you have a good career, fake wings, and white makeup. The message of Love in the Time of Cholera: If you wait for a woman for 53 years, 11 months and 7 days--even after she makes you cry and vomit, then ditches you for the less sexy Benjamin Bratt--you need a hobby. Also, I learned that Liev Schreiber can do everything—except a Spanish accent.

Time to fly. Superman is taking me to the oh-so glamorous Foxwoods where I can totally be like Eva Green to his James Bond while he plays poker. I had to do some Black Friday shopping in my desperate efforts to be prettier than Superman. This is a relationship of substance and maturity.

Ps. A reliable Dish source reports that opera goddess Marilyn Horne is in town.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a genuinely spectacular novel that was made into a barely tolerable movie. Still, the theme of undying love is gut wrenching and, one once thought, perhaps even possible. Remind me to tell you how I picked up my copy, with no more incentive than wanting to revisit the profound literary effect it had some many years ago, in June of this year, read it through, cried, laughed, thought about past events, and then July came about. Thank God 2008 is nearly over.

Dish said...

JW--I heard that this novel was amazing and I should have read it first. Love Javier Bardem mostly but this film not so much. I am so with you--Thank God 2008 is nearly over!!!