Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Too Far Away

I spend so much time near Ground Zero that I take for granted the police presence, the tourists, especially this time of year. Just in time, the weather turned yesterday -- from disgustingly humid to that hint of fall, just like 11 years ago. This morning, when I took the subway, the cars were nearly empty. Don't people work? I thought. Vacations are over. Then the date hit me. This year it passed me by since two friends lost their parents just today, of all days, so I mostly wondered what that must be like. I can't even imagine that heartbreak. I try to but I don't know how I would live without my mother. 11 years ago, I couldn't grasp what I saw from 50 blocks away.

To ease this memory of mourning, I sought a quick fix: a manicure and a piece of chocolate. I'm still thinking about my friends' grief and how others must still be heartbroken.

No comments: