Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ralph Wears Eyeshadow

If you love watching rich people be miserable, rent Bernard and Doris, directed by the great Bob Balaban. Lauren Bacall is my fave Doris Duke because she's so much more Lifetime and tragic--plus it comes on the heels of her losing the Oscar for The Mirror Has Two Faces. Susan Sarandon sexes up the part, with boys coming to service her (which is how I'd spend my millions once I was done with charity, Sephora, and yarn). I enjoy Ralph Fiennes's evolution--from sweaty English Patient stud to sweaty makeup-and-Steven-Seagal-robe-wearing butler. It's not the best movie I've ever seen but Susan raises that all-important question: What's the point of all this? We learn it at the end when her gazillions go to charity.

I wonder too: What's the point of all this? I'm not sure yet. But I hope when my butler injects me with happy medicine, I'll have some clue.

No comments: