Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Confession

I liked The Fighter, even though it reminded me of every other boxing movie I'd ever seen. Because of Bale's Supporting Actor win, I expected him to dominate, but really, there's so much more of Mark Wahlberg training and French-kissing Amy Adams. Mark always uses tongue with his co-stars, which gives the make-out sessions an air of authenticity. I always adore when the sweet young thing tends to the boxer's injuries--and then they make out, even if he's sweaty and gross.

Bale is fantastic as the stringy, crack-addled brother and his charisma, to me, was so believable. He aptly showed the complexity of a screwed up, lovable brother who'd long-since peaked. He deserved an Oscar, I hate to say it. I loved the cliched training montage scenes because they made me want to work out. Felt Melissa Leo chewed too much scenery, though perhaps this was true to the real character. It read a little like "You effed me out of the Oscar for Frozen River, by God, I'm getting one now." Overall, I rooted for the good guys and got misty at the end. Better than Cinderella Man by far.

By sheer coincidence, I read that Alice Ward (played by Leo) died today.

2 comments:

HersheyKiss said...

I'll give Dish credit for watching that disgusting creature in that movie that looks worse than chewing glass. Personally, I refuse to see any of my hard earned money go to Mr. Bale, just to further inflate his ego. Guácala!

John Haracopos said...

I Love Christian Bale! HersheyKiss is crazy!!! Melissa Leo is not an actress at all, she just plays herself; common & cheap! She proved it to the world with her Oscar speech!
The Fighter as a film could have benefitted greatly from some major editing. Cinderella Man was way better!!!