Sunday, October 26, 2008

Living for a Day

I pass over excellent actors sometimes. It's like when you avoid the super-interesting geeks to flirt with the vacant stud who's scratching himself at the dance. It took me 70 years to watch On the Waterfront since I was more mesmerized by Keanu Reeves as he slid under a moving bus in Speed. I wanted to make sure he delivered the line "Give me your hand" perfectly. (Not that Keanu is vacant. Oh god, I'm sorry!) I knew Marlon Brando could act.

If it weren't for JJ's recommendation, I wouldn't have watched Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day. I'm so glad I did. The brilliant (and frightening) Amy Adams flashes those marble blue eyes and gasps throughout. She's like a younger To Die For Nicole Kidman on coke. As for Frances McDormand, I keep forgetting how superb she is in Fargo, that she has the most important dialogue in Something's Gotta Give, and how she brings beauty to new levels--adding a hypervigilance in her characterization, as well as impishness. In this Cinderella story, she's pure pleasure and Ciaran Hinds gives hope that middle-aged men without chins can be swoonworthy romantic heroes. (He doesn't scratch himself once!) I'm so ready for the soup kitchen if it lands me a rich lingerie and sock-making BF (sorry, ExBF17X2 and Superman). Maybe I'm better off on the streets. I think soup is a bunch of bs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so agree with the comment about Ciaran Hinds. He is very yummy, in every work he is in. He always draws the viewer into the story, and is so intensely but quietly HOT. A lot of animal magnetism in the man. We need to see more of him!!!

Dish said...

Agree completely. I nearly fainted when he was JULIUS CAESAR in Rome. Stopped watching the series when he got stabbed.

Let's raise a glass to Ciaran Hinds!