Saturday, February 21, 2009

Old Fart Cinema

Dish is drowning in work. To clear my brain's palate, I indulged in three movies, all dealing with cranky bastards over 65.

The Straight Story: Oscar nominated and practically diapered Richard Farnsworth takes a tractor 300 miles to visit his ailing brother. RF is so cute, I wanted to sit by the campire and roast weiners with him. Unfortunately for me and the world of film, he's dead.

The Visitor: Oscar nominated Richard Jenkins is so bored he takes up drums in the subway, all while getting wrapped up in an immigration issue. So glad they didn't plonk in a gratuitous love scene, though Dish is always ready to watch geezer sex.

American Splendor: Paul Giamatti looks about 65 and always plays an unlikeable person. When I realized about five minutes in that the film was set in Cleveland, I turned it off. I haven't got time for the pain.

Kathy Griffin was luminous and delightfully offensive. Stopped counting all the f-bombs at 100. Hoping to see Fleetwood Mac next....

2 comments:

John Haracopos said...

Never saw "The Straight Story", LOVED "The Visitor"!!! I couldn't do "American Splendor" either.
ENOUGH with that "Griffin Bitch" She's not funny & has a bad facelift, how she made past a job at the Macys fragrance counter I'll never know...

Dish said...

We'll have to agree to disagree on Kathy Griffin. She's AMAZING! And who hasn't had a bad facelift?