Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Countdown to Matrimony: Wedding Movie #26

Monsoon Wedding: India knows how to rock a wedding. This is a lovely, feel-good movie about an arranged marriage--full of color, texture, family angst and overall joy. I've always thought arranged marriages were reasonable and why not celebrate a practical partnership? Not that I'd ever go out with someone my parents picked out. Okay, never mind. The girl in this movie gets matched with a hottie, and she's a hottie, which makes everything better. The humor will titillate you, unlike most romantic comedies. There is no subtlety, wit or complexity in the American romantic comedy of the last 20 years (I'm sure there are exceptions). At the same time, I felt so glad my wedding would only last six hours rather than three days, as in India. Perhaps even longer.

No comments: