Monday, January 17, 2011

The Golden Globes

I'm not talking about my wedding dress cleavage because there wasn't any. That joke is really old, isn't it? I half expected to someone to mention tatas during The Golden Globes, but not a Sofia Vergara comment to be had (hers were spectacular in that red dress--not that I noticed and on my wedding night).

What can I say? I'm really, really happy to be married to TG. But did my wedding stop me from watching The Golden Globes? No. It didn't stop TG and me from watching poor widdle Tom Brady cwying because he got his butt kicked by the Jets. It's not that I don't like Tom. I don't like what he stands for: athletic excellence coupled with marriage to a supermodel.

Back to The Globes: Ricky Gervais is getting some PC-police backlash. I think he's fantastic. He's vicious and makes Bruce Willis and Tom Hanks' sphincters pucker. I love that he causes controversy. He did it last year and he got asked back. One man alone has revitalized the award show, made stars more aware of their "false humility" or self-absorption. A cool celebrity knows how to laugh at him/herself. Ricky knows when to take it easy (like on Sandra Bullock) and he knows who deserves to be skewered. Let's face it: The rest of the award shows are BORING.

Though I did think Robert DeNiro's immigration joke backfired. So did Ricky's Scientology joke (the Tom Cruise gay rumors are so dated, though too rampant to make anyone think of Travolta recent alleged scandal--I think deeply about the psychology of these things).

Other pronouncements:

I'm tired of Tilda Swinton's looking like a man/egg/alien
Bruce Willis has totally had a facelift.
Adored the dresses of Angelina Jolie (finally sheds the black!), January Jones, Anne Hathaway and Vanessa Williams.
Nicole Kidman looked beautiful and like herself.
Sandra Bullock's bangs--a big no
Yay, Chris Colfer and Annette Bening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Tim Allen joke was priceless! Sort of mean but very well delivered and maybe even deserved.

Dish said...

And I'm sure Tim Allen loved it! There was an element of truth in everything Ricky said, which is why it was so funny. I especially loved his dissing The Tourist.