Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Place Where Nobody Dared to Go...

Go see Xanadu on Broadway if you were/are the following:

Obsessed with Olivia Newton John to the point where you even saw Twist of Fate, along with Xanadu (when it first came out and more than once).

Want desperately to relive the 80s.

Obsessed with Gene Kelly so much that you'll see him underused and feel your chest swell when he and Olivia dance together. It's like looking at the sun. Tony Roberts is not Gene, but he's pretty fun anyway.

Obsessed with ELO as much as it embarrasses you to admit it.

Miserable and need some confection.

Eager to see someone so much better than Michael Beck in the film version. Cheyenne Jackson is tall, tan, talented hotness as Sonny Malone.

Open to the idea of seeing someone attempt to recapture Olivia. Kerry Butler is freakishly amazing!

Tickled by super-flamboyant drag-queen gayness, as Dish is, especially when Andre Ward comes out on stage as one of the muses. He stole many moments and one of his lines made me snarf and pee.

Loved Jackie Hoffman in Kissing Jessica Stein and want to see her as the gawky muse.

Don't have the attention span for Shakespeare and need a short play with no intermission so your ass doesn't fall asleep.

1 comment:

Sam said...

Like, oh my Gawd! I sooo loved Xanadu! Gag me with a spatula, like, it was so far out it was in!

And Cheyenne, well, he makes my inner thighs tingle in a way that makes me think my chair might start vibrating. His voice, his face, his bod! If I ever meet him, I'm either gonna say "Love me two times baby" or "Bitch! I don't know your life!"

And you're so right, Dish. Kerry Butler is freakishly amazing! I know Ms. LuPone is due to win the big prize for her overarching performance in Gypsy, but Kerry should win the award for making me giggle like a schoolgirl.

No, let us not giggle. Let us cackle!