Saturday, August 16, 2008

Didn't Revisit Brideshead

Instead, Tom and I saw Tropic Thunder, which made me laugh so hard I almost felt sick. I tend to avoid Ben Stiller because I've heard from several sources he's a puppy-kicker. Fear not, he's barely noticeable in TT. This movie is truly funny and well written. Robert Downey, Jr. is genius at playing Russell Crowe who's so method he has to dye his skin to play a black man and then adopts cliched black-isms throughout. Jack Black is bombastic and fatter than ever. Surprise and synchronicity to mini-Tom, Tom Cruise appears. And he's frightening as a beefy psychopathic studio head! I giggled every time TC said nasty curse words because he's such a goody-goody. At the end of the flick, Tom said, "A lot of people tell me I look like Tom Cruise but I don't see it." Hee hee. A lot of people tell me I look like Marilyn Monroe but I don't see it. It kills me when people compare themselves to celebrities but in Tom's case there's some truth.

So, yes, Dish highly recommends Tropic Thunder. Brideshead Revisited seemed too snoozy for a Friday night, though we loves the Emma. As I plied myself with a post-movie scotch, Mini-Tom lamented our not going to a "date movie." What a wuss. But an adequate diversion from my ongoing heartbreak. At least I get to go to the movies I want this time.

No comments: