Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Wake Up with Gale Harold

Wake: A dick flick with four tormented brothers dealing with sick mommy (hello, story of every boy's life). The brothers converge over the woman who carried them in her uterus, they agonize, they bring home some trampy babes, they take all kinds of pills and dance. Then...someone goes a little too far and, of course, someone vomits.

Overacting is so fun and I adored the cliche-drunk-ex-con brother who wore a fringed swede jacket and stumbled into things. He took to the medicine and liquor cabinets like Dish to a bag of Cheetos. There's an unplugged do-gooder and another drunk brother. Everyone is miserable--at least secretly. Most impressive was Gale Harold who played a different character from the one at our favorite club, Babylon. Here he's tormented, sensitive and cranky (oh wait, that's Brian Kinney, too, but different I swear). Because Gale's so haunted by demons, I just wanted to give him a hug and a box of crayons so he could draw a picture of his feelings (and take off his shirt). I also wanted to forget that he wears his mother's bathrobe during his moment of freakage.

Every time someone said "bro," "man," or "brother," I did a shot (of orange juice since I'm still sick).

If you're already feeling iffy in the emotions department, don't watch this. If you enjoy dark mind-f*ck family flicks about tormenting your siblings and killing your mom, rent it now. Oh, and Martin Landau rocks big-time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dish,
You certainly know how grab attention with a headline. I was hoping you meant literally. :)
Could you review The Unseen next? I hear there's some Gale bathroom!sex.
S

Dish said...

I only wish I could "wake up with Gale" (sounds like a talk show). Would adore to review The Unseen for you (and for me) and will put it at the top of my Netflix queue. I wonder what is "unseen" in that movie...