Friday, April 03, 2009

At Least *Someone's* Getting Married

I pulled my left anterior deltoid muscle from--wait for it--accidentally stepping onto a moving treadmill. I like to keep to my WASP roots and not express hurt or outrage but the "OH!" was loud. Dish went flying but I pretended nothing happened and ran three miles immediately. This happened two days ago. I thought I was fine until last night, I tried to open a jar of peanut butter. Like Michelle Pfeiffer's character in Frankie & Johnny, I can open any jar. It took two attempts and I felt my muscle saying, "FU, Dish," then shatter.

What did I do to ease the pain? Filled a cup with granola (because I'm trying to eat what's in my house thanks to Suze Orman) and sat down to watch Rachel Getting Married. I'm not a big Hathaway fan but she got raves for her work. First of all, I'm pissed at Steven Soderberg because ever since the shaky camera in Traffic, EVERYONE is doing the shaky camera in indie movies. I get it, show the chaos, the frantic and real life--and make your viewer nauseous and nervous. I expected more from Jonathan Demme. When the opening credits ended, I thought, "Cool, he's going to make his characters talk into the camera. He can't help himself." None of that. All shaky camera and Anne Hathaway with her crazy assymmetrical hair (hmmmm, to show how crazy, off kilter and druggie she is?) pissing everyone off. Dysfunctional but loving family, people going bananas at a wedding, someone gets smacked, crisis ensues, suck it up for the big day. That's every single day for Dish. At least in Margot at the Wedding Jennifer Jason Leigh pooped herself. Anne's transformation at the end is effective and there, you don't see her acting. Debra Winger continues to be Lovely and Amazing (ha, that's an indie movie, too).

I give a lot of credit to Hathaway for doing this role. She has talent and courage. If I were America's Sweetheart, I'd be installing a beer bong around my head for the cameras. Let's hope she continues to choose challenging roles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're sorry to hear of your pain but loved the expression of that in your shaky camera tantrum. Dish stays steady through everything while all around her are shaky poseurs and very obvious at that.

Dish said...

Thanks for your good wishes. :)