Sunday, April 26, 2009

Liberty Ride

Today marks a sad one-year anniversary but I'm burying myself in QAF (and finding out if Jennifer Aniston and Sharon Stone have had recent plastic surgery or botox), where Brian does the Liberty Ride on one testicle, a bloken clavicle, and plenty of gumption. I love the line, "Your prophecies of doom only incite me more." Who else but Brian Kinney could say this?

My thoughts for the weekend--I've unlocked Twilight's popularity. How great is it that even if you're sulky, depressed, and mediocre, everyone wants you. Bella isn't exactly vivacious yet teen boys fall at her feet, not to mention hot vampires. Both her parents adore her and a dangerous vampire tracker singles her out--above everyone else--to kill. What woman doesn't want to be singled out? In there, too, is the popular romantic rape fantasy, where the hero can't stop himself from sinking his teeth into her flesh. Edward often professes fear that he can't stop and she doesn't run screaming in the other direction. Thank god, he does stop because otherwise this special girl would be a dead duck and we really need another mopey teenager in the world. Just in the nick of time, he saves her at least three times, which allows her to basically lie there before prom (I say, just lie there with beer and condoms on a mattress in a van DURING prom). The story also makes statuatory rape and pedophilia acceptable since a 108-year-old vampire can have sex with a 17-year-old girl. Or at least make out a little.

Despite this, I wouldn't mind a savior "teenage" vampire. I've done worse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are people so into vampires?

Dish said...

It's because vampires are so good looking, which is important to all of us. If you watch all the vampire movies, all the monsters are hot: Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Antonio Banderas, Frank Langella, George Hamilton, Gary Oldman, Gerald Butler, Charlize Theron's BF in Queen of the Damned. If they were ugly, no one would care. Though I don't think I could get over the blood thing.