Friday, November 27, 2009

Whatever Works

Ever since Woody Allen slept with his daughter (at least he married her, TG says), I haven't liked his movies, except for Match Point. I also hate Larry David so it took me a while to watch this. Now I get David's appeal. The writing is sharp, witty, and the actors deliver captivating performances. I was impressed with Evan Rachel Wood, one of the few good actresses of her generation. She could have toned down the twang but Hollywood hasn't got this memo ever. Quite an enjoyable movie about the complexity and transient nature of relationships, luck and of course, the movie title. Moral: If you're old, hideous and in love with a super-young girl, it's okay to bang and marry her.

So I've unburdened myself of VHS tapes, watching In & Out one last time before chucking (DVD version on my Amazon wishlist). Funny, I always thought Kevin Kline was gay. It's because he's so articulate and artsy. While watching, I realized he and Kenneth Brannagh belong in the No Lips Club.

No comments: