Friday, January 01, 2010

Accidents

I don't like to disappoint people who think I'm a moron so during my carefully carved out Dishtime post-holiday extravanganza, I viewed The Accidental Husband. Uma Thurman + Romantic Comedy = Guaranteed Disaster (exception: The Truth About Cats and Dogs). When you throw in too many mega-hunkaliciouses such as Colin Firth and Jeffrey Dean Morgan, you're in more trouble. The sad thing: I enjoyed it from beginning to end. What's not to like? It's obvious and doesn't challenge my intellect:

1. Colin Firth is basically a girl from England who eats chocolate when stressed; Jeffrey Dean Morgan is a dumb, burly fireman from Astoria. Colin probably enjoys a hygienic missionary and Jeffrey likes giving it bareback in the pooper. I wonder who Uma will pick!
2. Uma is a love expert who has no idea what she's talking about--ORIGINAL!
3. Uma accidentally gets drunk and falls on her face--a Romance Comedy staple.
4. When she doesn't get the guy she REALLY wants, she goes back to Colin (a girl) and almost marries him, which is the film's stab at same sex union.

Other than Uma's pneumonia throughout the film (so obvious she was sucking down Nyquil or smoking her brains out), my favorite part is the attempt at ethnic diversity, an Indian family and all the colorful saris, let-your-hair-down and dot- in-forehead fixings to show Uma that she needs to relax. Thanks, Griffin Dunne.

Happy New Year!

No comments: