Friday, September 11, 2009

Of Course I Remember

Is it a crime for me not to expound on my grief over 9/11 today? The barrage of 9/11 Status Updates on Facebook makes me want to hurl though I understand everyone mourns in their own way and publically. I probably made a poor choice of joyful outbursts about the pumpkin scones at Starbucks. Don't judge: I spend eight hours of most weekdays two blocks from Ground Zero. The tourists are everywhere all year round, especially today. In a minimum of 50% of conversations (5 years ago it would have been 100%), 9/11 is mentioned. My firestation is a block away and I often wonder what they went through on that day. Every year I feel a heavy energy on this day though my direct contact with the falling towers was from 60 blocks away. Unlike many, I survived easily--aside from crippling insomnia which I still have--and all year round, I think of the people who died, who have to go on with unimaginable pain. I don't want to discuss the horrible things I saw from my office window but that doesn't mean I don't remember.

So, I'll be quiet now and just mention that the Le Bons are in the news once again with Simon Le Bon doing an excellent photo spread for James magazine. He's looking mighty skinny and I'd almost venture that he's veering toward the Posh Spice side of things. Eat a Twinkie, Simon. Or at least, a 9/11 commemorative cookie. With all due respect.

RIP to victims and courage to all survivors.

No comments: