Friday, September 19, 2008

Apologies to Simon Le Bon

My eyes have melted into my skull. I'm reading Wild Boy way too fast, then turning to my diary from twenty-six years ago and comparing my adolescent obsession to what DD was doing at the same time. Summer of 1983: they were recording in Montserrat. Meanwhile, in Asshole Falls, USA, I was running to my grocery store, looking for new mags. Thinking how to hide from my dad I had started smoking, that those "long walks" had nothing to do with exercise, that I was into a band, and cultivating an eating disorder (which, sadly, only lasted two weeks) to blend in with my stick-thin, preppy, fairisle-wearing peers. There was that horrible day when I saw pics of Duran Duran sitting in the grass with their flock of people (i.e. women) and jealousy sent me into crying fits. One day, the eight-year age different won't seem so bad, I thought. It didn't occur to me that I had plenty of years ahead where I would drool over non-Duran Duran boyfriends, though one did resemble John Taylor and played in a band. In July, my mother called me from London to tell me how she was in the street when crowds came charging down and screaming. Later she learned that Duran Duran had arrived to meet Princess Diana. I'll never forget my agony over not being there--which was the same as being right in front of their trailer as they came in to do their May 2008 concert in Central Park. The sad part about being a crazed fan is that you'll never ever be a part of your beloved's world and they really don't care about yours specifically. (Though I will go to their next concert and take a nice "relaxant" in case I'm ever that close again).

I think I may be super-bored, which happens during illnesses.

Regarding my ongoing secret question about the "Shake up the picture, the lizard mixture" lyric in "New Moon on Monday" and the whole meaning of "Union of the Snake," I learned from Andy's book that it's not about Simon smoking a lot of pot to write those lyrics; being so well read, Simon is convinced we're descended from lizards. (Which could have come from many bong hits)

No comments: