Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Women

Despite having the perfect cast, some movies can stink (Evening). The new The Women is semi-worthy of a rental if you're wanting to feel empowered, do facials, manis and pedis and eat Hostess Cupcakes all by yourself (which Dish doesn't do every weekend). In a theater, it is a little tedious, with 100 contrivances, one-liners you've already seen in the trailer, and a bit too much girl talk. Do not plunk down 12$ unless the following appeals to you:

Annette Bening has never looked better or been more fun to watch. She is fierce and has the best wardrobe throughout. Love her suits, white shirts, chunky bracelets and footwear. AB is so the person you want as your best friend, even when she screws you over. It's Annette Bening, for criminey's sake. I'd let her stick a knife in my back.

In one scene we can all relate to, Meg Ryan takes out a stick of butter, dips it in cocoa, a bowl of sugar and eats it. While I object to her long-hair trend, she is her usual sweetness and moves the story along.

Debra Messing's antics, which we've missed since Will & Grace. What's more, since she had her son Roman, I adore how she's no longer a stick figure. In this, she wears enormous tents. Thank you for this. I do the same during bloating seasons.

As usual Deb Mazar's accent is to-die-for. Though I can see she knows how to do nails like I can build model airplanes with my butt.

I'm not sure I understood Jada's role other than her professional connection to Annette. I guess to be thorough, you have to do a cross section of women: Mommy, Professional, Professional & Mommy, Lesbian Writer. Not that there's anything wrong with this. I would switch sides for Jada (though not in this movie).

Cameo Bette Midler is fun and doesn't overdo it; same goes for Candace Bergen -- two excellent mentors for the bef*cked and clueless Meg.

You'll be fascinated by how Carrie Fisher doesn't look like Carrie Fisher. Or maybe my eyes are failing faster than I thought. I tend to like more Carrie than less. For me, she was the most fun character in When Harry Met Sally. I would have loved her to carry around her rolodex of men while we lunched.

Eva Mendes is smoking and bitchy. Usually enjoy her. Hope she is good in The Spirit.

There are no men. Well, maybe one, but I won't give it away. I wish I could tell everyone to support women in the arts by seeing this one, but Dish has to draw the line. We're in a recession, after all.

No comments: