Saturday, May 02, 2009

It's Not What You Think!

As I watched Doubt, I pondered the theme of the story. Hmmm. Maybe it's about skeptism. Contempt? Not that. Maybe it's about DOUBT! I wanted to count how many times the word was used in the movie (many). Usually, the title of a movie comes out toward the end as the big cutesy BLAMO moment. Doubt just uses the word throughout, like "the." Meryl Streep acts her butt off as the bitchy nun who definitely needs to get laid, or at the very least, more hugs. Phillip Seymour Hoffman steps up to the plate as a Jesus-esque priest who is blond, portly, and loves boys. I mean, he loves them in the way he's supposed to but Meryl thinks something dirty is happening. What a perv! I was expecting a huge downer, but it's really the feel-good movie of the year. I loved the nun bonnets and how Meryl and Amy Adams had red eyes from insomnia. They tried to look hideous, but we all see the gorgeousness.

In other news, Amy Winehouse is hospitalized in St. Lucia for "dehydration." I hate to admit this, but I wonder when is this girl going to die and become another dead and saintly drug-addicted icon? I'm tired of reading about her antics. I know, very uncompassionate of Dish. Or maybe all the craziness is a big act? There are people walking the street who live the life of Amy but get no airtime. She's kinda mundane except for the freakish singing voice.

Favorite thing I read this week: David Denby of The New Yorker called Russell Crowe a "dumpling in a wig" in his new movie State of Play. The Reign of Russell is over since A Beautiful Mind (which I thought blew chunks except for the beautiful actors--"I have to believe that something extraordinary is possible."). It's over, Telephone Thrower!

24 hours till Gale, though I'll have to avert my eyes when Teri Hatcher appears, once again stealing my fire with her twig legs and squeaky voice. It's funny how Dish is so excited to see Gale play a not-so-interesting character. No matter. My infatuation is unconditional.

No comments: