Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday Night Brain Fever

I have a weighty assignment that involves using my brain, and yet cracking open a history book makes me break out into a cold sweat. In real life, Dish is surrounded by academics. I can smell one within a five-mile radius. I've read my Dostoevsky, 13 pages of Proust while eating a Madeleine, every important dead white guy, and have used the word "modernity" in conversation (usually as a joke). Dish even has a master's degree in literature, can pretend to understand post-colonial theory and Foucault. Ten years later, my vocabulary has diminished. Long words puzzle me. The way through: think of history as the culmination of celebrity events. The Tet Offensive was shocking like Britney Spears's downward spiral in 2007. Surprising, lethal, hard to take.

I watched Full Metal Jacket this morning while ironing dresses. Kubrick takes you where you don't want to go but it's intriguing mind-f*ck. I have half an hour left and will temper it with some J. Lo romantic comedy. Delightful contrast--J.Lo/Kubrick.

Must find more ice cream. Killed the marzipan.

No comments: