Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Valkyrie Cristina California

I expected to laugh my butt off during Valkyrie but I didn't. Tom Cruise takes on the Nazis, kinda like Steven Seagal taking on toxic waste -- or singing. The movie has some charismatic characters, especially slightly-geezer Kenneth Branaugh showing us he still has no lips. Tom Wilkinson makes everything better, as do Bill Nighy and Terence Stamp (hubba hubba, Dish loves him almost as much as Donald Sutherland). The problem is in the pacing, Tom's sexy-cautious voice, and, for me, not enough Hitler. Teenager Susie Smith from Butthole Falls probably won't understand why "The Furor" had to be killed. You never see the atrocities Hitler committed so why does he need to die? We just take it on Tom's word. Though if I'd lost an eye, I'd be pissed too.

A more literate film is Vicky Cristina Barcelona from Woody Allen who is one of the few auteurs of cinema left alive. His male fantasies make me ralph a bit and his dialogue can be out of touch but this movie is intelligent, delving into desperate and mundane love. Passion versus pragmatism. Oh humans are so complex. Stellar performances by the Spaniards and once my GBFs get their grubby hands off him, Javier Bardem is MINE!

In other news: California blows. Everyone knows why. It's a shame that people have to be punished for loving each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

doesn't a.l. need a hair makeover? does your follower mr. jj think so?

Dish said...

Anonymous, check under the PS post and you'll find JJ's response. Brilliant as always.