Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button...

...is probably one of the sappiest crapfests I've seen in a long time--this generation's Forrest Gump. Three hours of nonsensical corn syrup (always with a southern accent) shot in soft blues and yellows. While Gump was right wing propaganda, this one is more left wing -- with the PC version of orphanhood and family. Everyone helps everyone (well, it's mostly just the women who do the work). The "other" is isolated, casts off his family the way he was cast off--perpetuating the "you're better off without my freaky self" excuse for the disappearing father (Superman Returns). Blanchett's "Daisy" starts off a precocious sex-starved/bitchy free spirit but, like all the women in the film whose dreams fall in the dust, she winds up changing everyone's diapers. Throughout, Blanchett tells the epic story like Katharine Hepburn would in On Golden Pond: chewing scenery with a turban on her head, constant shaking and saggy waddle under her chin.

Predictable. Babel was better for these two.

5 comments:

John Haracopos said...

I completely disagree! Yes, it is sappy but quite a good commentary on how we live our lives, the choices we make and the ripple effect of them. I understand how a young woman of your age also couldn't relate to the age play.(hehe) For me it was not a good film it was a great film because of where it brought my thoughts and how it made me look at the "time" of my life and the choices I've made. Very thought provoking for me... Dishgirl, I do love you but stick to what you know, Mindless Anistonarama...

Dish said...

This from the one who thought De-Lovely was the greatest thing in "Cinema."

John Haracopos said...

Why Do You Keep On Insisting That I Said That When You Know I Never Did! Although It Was Better Then Anything That Jennifer No Talent I Need A Nose Job Aniston Was Ever In!

Dish said...

I'm sorry but Jennifer Aniston should have received an Oscar for "Picture Perfect."

HersheyKiss said...

Personally, I thought Benjamin Butthead was spectacular. I really think big screen v. little screen has a lot to do with it. KissSideKick even sat still for the entire time and didn't talk as much as usual, in that very loud whisper he's (not) perfected over the years. Such silence at the theater is not only appreciated, but the true sign of cinematic magic.