Friday, June 26, 2009

Death, Drugs and Rock & Roll

It's very sad when celebs are surrounded by slime, as Michael Jackson and Anna Nicole Smith (and Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, Kurt Cobain and the list is endless) were. How many deaths didn't have to happen? If you see someone going downhill, why not forklift them into rehab? That is too logical, of course. His epic death reminds me of Diana's though she just had bulimia and fame-whorishness (who doesn't?). Given the numerous child abuse allegations and body dysmorphic disorder, I find it difficult to celebrate Michael Jackson the man, though his genius cannot be disputed and I like remembering him in his "Thriller" video--an eerie foreshadowing of his face changes. Someone so heavily medicated is to be pitied and MJ is now where he must have wanted to go. You can only do so much. The thing that makes me ralph are all the lame-asses who come out of the woodwork claiming to be his closest friend or expert on his condition. The uncle of the hairdresser of Michael's weedwhacker knew all along he was going downhill. Everyone knew. Why didn't someone stop him?

I guess you can't. On a much tinier scale, Dish's first love Exbf2 was a drunk, one of those glamorous sexy alkies as in Eddie and the Cruisers. He talked about suicide, even wrote me letters about how he wanted to shoot himself. I dragged him to AA, screamed at his friends to take his problem seriously, even took him to the hospital. Finally, I had to save myself. I learned a few years ago that he'd shot himself. So many have a story like this. Some people really want to go and nothing stops the downward spiral, not even a forklift.

I wish MJ peace, his children a good life and that's all about him.

1 comment:

HersheyKiss said...

There's no doubt about his talent, which will live forever. I sense it will take at least a generation, though, to get over the extracurricular life and antics of the man-boy. Coming soon: salacious testimonials, discoveries, and not a few tell-all books. Neverland will become the left coast Graceland, and visitors with earphones on the audio tour will be directed through private passages and virtual plastic surgery, the results of which will be available for purchase on DVD at the gift shop.