Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patty's Day: A Day of Spewing Green Beer

Growing up, I faked being Irish because of my red hair. It seemed easier than saying: We have no idea where the red came from (probably Wales or Switzerland). You Irish? Sure. Now, at the ripe age of 43, I can come out and say I'm not that Irish and I really hate St. Patrick's Day with rowdy people packed into bars, drinking green alcohol, bagpipes, U2 and fake Irish accents. It's awful.

Here's what I do like about Ireland: Liam Neeson, corned beef, Guinness, Colin Farrell's gutter mouth, a pivotal location for P.S. I Love You and soda bread without raisins. Maybe I'll watch Mary Reilly to celebrate Julia doing an Irish accent. For now, I will bury myself in Fireflies in the Garden, where she plays Ryan Reynolds's mom (poor Julia). Review to come.

No comments: